Did you know that skin is the largest organ of the human body? One of the main functions of the skin is protection, which is why natural ingredients are so important. The skin protects the body from external factors such as bacteria, chemicals, and temperature. The skin contains secretions that can kill bacteria and the pigment melanin provides a chemical pigment defense against ultraviolet light that can damage skin cells.
The skin can lose its ability to protect the body when compromised or damaged. While there are many causes leading to damaged or compromised skin, one main preventable cause is dry skin. The top layer of the skin, the epidermis, when healthy, keeps out irritants and keeps in moisture. Dry skin breaks down that natural process.
Dry skin has a decreased capacity to heal, and is far more susceptible to various forms of skin damage such as sun exposure or harsh detergents. Dry skin is also more prone to bacterial and fungal infections because it has many tiny cracks allowing the offenders to sneak in.
Moisturizers are the staple of skin care products. Using moisturizers help to keep your skin hydrated, soft, supple, and young looking. By keeping skin moisturized, skin can protect itself from the harsh environment. Use a moisturizer in the daytime and at night, before you go to sleep to keep skin healthy.
JustNeem’s Top Ingredient: Neem
Neem Oil & Neem Leaf
Neem is an evergreen tree that is part of the mahogany family. Since early times Neem has been known for its medicinal properties with marvelous results on skin.
Properties of Neem can be summarized as anti-septic, anti-inflammatory and as a facilitator of wound healing. Neem leaves and seeds produce molecules that have potent anti-fungal, anti-bacterial and anti-viral properties. Application of Neem leaf powder or Neem Oil to the skin has miraculous results. Because of its anti-microbial properties, it renders bad microorganisms inactive, therefore, helping in proper healing of the skin and protecting it from infections and septic conditions.
Neem protects the skin, heals skin infections, in particular if they are related to acne, psoriasis, and eczema, athlete’s foot, nail fungus, dandruff, or cold sores. Neem oil is high in vitamin E, rich in emollients and fatty acids and is soothing to dry, cracked or otherwise stressed and damaged skin.
Why We Love Neem:
- Good results have been seen on skin problems like acne and blemishes. It helps by disinfecting the hair follicles and eradicating the particles which are blocking the pores.
- Taking a bath of Neem leaves soaked in water help our body to counteract mild infections and soothe irritated skin.
- Neem contains carotenoids (similar to carotene) which provide high antioxidant compounds that help defend the skin against age-promoting free radicals.
- Neem is high in Vitamin E and relieves dry skin.
- It improves general skin health and immunity, combating bacterial & viral infections.
- Neem Oil is a natural insect repellent.
Other Natural Ingredients
Vitamin E is one of the most powerful antioxidants that protects and repairs your skin. It neutralizes the oxidant effect of free radicals, which are molecules that damage collagen and cause skin dryness, fine lines and wrinkles. Vitamin E enhances the natural moisture-retaining mechanisms of your skin and helps protect the skin from scarring and age spots.
Green Tea Extract
Green tea is rich in flavonoids and possesses powerful antioxidant properties. Green tea has been shown to have protective effects against UV radiation damage due to exposure to the sun. The polyphenols in the tea are responsible for its powerful anti-inflammatory and anti-irritant properties.
Shea Butter & Mango Butter
Both are moisturizers that help to keep skin soft, supple and healthy. These butters hydrate the skin and protect it from dryness.
- Shea Butter is a deep skin moisturizer that actually slows skin’s cellular degeneration, while helping skin keep its elasticity and healthy radiance.
- Mango Butter has beneficial moisturizing properties and wound healing abilities. It also reduces degeneration of skin cells and restores skin’s elasticity.
Jojoba Oil, Sweet Almond Oil, Sunflower Oil
All have a high percentage of fatty acids and are popular anti-aging ingredients. They are very effective when added to any natural anti-aging creams and skin care products. They work very well on dry, dull and damaged skin.
- Jojoba Oil helps prevent and reduce wrinkles, promotes new cell growth, absorbs quickly into the skin, and makes skin luminous.
- Sunflower Oil has many medicinal and cosmetic uses and may be helpful for those suffering with acne, eczema or inflammation. It contains an extremely high amount of vitamin E which helps prevent sun damage of sensitive skin cells.
- Sweet Almond Oil is a light, nourishing oil that is absorbed easily into the skin without clogging pores. It is a great emollient and contains a high amount of vitamin E.
Reduces inflammation and improves wound healing, including sunburn, due to its emollient, natural healing and soothing, anesthetic properties. Aloe Vera leaf is a gel rich in minerals, vitamins, enzymes and amino acids. Gel extracted from the inside of the aloe leaf is useful as a natural healing salve due to its antibacterial, antiviral, anti-fungal and anesthetic properties. These unique properties sooth skin ailments such as burns, insect bites, cuts, rashes, itching, to heal, while reducing risks of infection. Aloe Vera also aids in the skin’s ability to replenish skin cells and also has an amazing ability to retain and lock in skin’s moisture.
Rich in emollient fat, and is a sweetly scented, super moisturizing oil for the skin. The consistency of coconut oil helps to bind and emulsify many natural skin care products. Coconut oil is rich in fatty acids that rejuvenate skin, high in antioxidants, and help prevent and protect skin against the formation of free radicals.
Vegetable glycerin has excellent moisturizing properties and helps keep skin looking young and healthy. Many researchers believe that glycerin can help in treating many skin conditions like psoriasis, eczema and certain non-melanoma cancers of skin that mainly result from abnormal production and maturation of skin cells.
Glycerine attracts just the right amount of moisture required to hydrate dry skin bringing elasticity and moisture to the skin. Glycerin is really gentle and has no side effects when used on the skin. It also draws oxygen into the skin, which is beneficial for anti-aging.